Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Am I waiting for the right one...


Day two of fighting a massive migraine. Home with a drugged up lil' guy who just had his tonsils and adenoids removed and wants to do nothing else besides watch Dr. Who-all of them-again. So what else can I do besides write.

Anyhow, I saw a post on facebook that stuck with me (as philosophical facebook posts often do-lol). It was: One day someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. Hmmm....

That thought could inspire great love poems and epic love stories but does it ring true in real life? Is there really a someone for everyone out there just waiting to be found? 

There are some relationships and marriages I honestly admire. They seem to just fit and workout so effortlessly. Then, there are others that always seem to be in turmoil and on the edge of seperation. The rest are somewhere in between-or at least we hope to be. How does this happen? How does one meet a partner that seems so perfectly matched yet others go through life always picking all the wrong ones?

I have been with the same guy for ages now-since the beginning of time-lol. It's been more like 11 years, but it feels like forever. When I met him, I thought I was sure he was the one! It all just seemed to fit and workout. He was THE ONE! My how new love can make you feel like nothing else matters. Years later, after many many ups and even more downs, we are still together, working hard to keep it together. Some days it's downright impossible and others it's as effortless as blinking your eyes. Marriage is an option we explored but have yet to leap into for various complex reasons. Knowing what I know now, I sometimes question my certainty back then? Is he the one for me? Am I the one for him? While our bond is often too deep to describe even in poetry, I still look at other relationships and wonder how I can make mine better.

I like to think of all the relationships we have before marriage as practice for the real thing. You get to test your patience and work out the details so you have it together for the 'one' you are meant to marry. This idea could be wrong. What if the 'one' doesn't exist the way we think we know it? What it the 'one' is a work in progress, like you and me and the real secret is for you two to work together to become what you are supposed to be. Then the question becomes, how much work makes the relationship worth it or not? How much patience and tolerance should one have in a relationship if your goal is marriage one day? Do you hold out for that person that makes it all easy? What if s/he never comes? What if you miss the 'one' because you are focused on a relationship that will never be what you need?

How do we know when we have found the right 'one'? I don't know, but the pursuit surely drives us all and has the power to destroy empires and inspire timeless works of art.

What do you think? Does the 'one' really exist or is s/he a someone we work with? How did you know if the love of your life was the 'one'? 

The kids may not be sleep, but you can still share-I'll be up all day and night with the Dr. Who marathon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment